Thursday, June 30, 2011

Back to the Beach!

Tom and I watch the sunset on Siesta Key.


Last week was our fourth annual family week in Myrtle Beach, and we had a great time once again! I just love how much Whitley LOVES the beach! It truly is the easiest way to entertain her. I only have to slather her with sunscreen in the morning, and then let her go. She jumps waves, splashes in the shallows, digs holes, makes sand towers, runs in circles... she goes, goes, goes! Like Day Day said, she stops only for "two goldfish breaks" a day. It was my pleasure to follow after her and join in when wanted. Since I have garnered a reputation over the years of spending my beach time reading in the shade, I surprised some of my family members by staying in the sunshine and getting quite a tan. Of course, I still don't tan nearly as dark as my daughter. With her brown arms and legs, blond curls, and big smile, she definitely earned the nickname "Beach Baby". Our fun was not limited to sand and surf, though. We spent many hours visiting with relatives, enjoying "happy hour" snack and drinks, celebrating Father's Day, and even attending a Pirate-themed dinner show! I didn't think my pictures were the best, but at least I got a variety...CC, David, and Stacy peruse CC's birthday book- a collection of photos, comments, and poems marking Mom's upcoming 60th. Sweet Aunt Betty gave Mom and Aunt Mary their birthday gifts early, the sentimental scrapbooks and beautiful cloth napkins. (Mae Mae has a big birthday this year, too. She turns 50!)

Drew and Whitley were excited about waking Day Day on Father's Day and presenting him with gifts.

Taking a moment to dry off and snuggle with Day Day.

There was plenty of time each evening for the kids to draw, color, watch a movie, or play their matching Leapster games.

On Sunday we celebrated Father's Day with a cake Aunt Betty made. That's one great group of Daddies! Whitley seems bored with the photo-taking and is ready to eat. (Or perhaps is just tired. Even after all that running around the beach, she didn't nap once!)

The kids were allowed to dig in- literally! That cake was a delicious mess.

It was very fun to have the Gunderkids with us. Not that they're kids anymore! They're fun partyers. :)


Whitley having fun with her CC, as always!

Coolin' down in the bucket.

The Whitley boys were wonderful diggers and sand castle builders. They made a huge castle, and dug a large whole, both of which amused the kids for a long while.


Mommy and I wore matching ensembles the night of our Pirate Adventure!

Our annual Myrtle beach couple photo in the living room. :)

Whitley remembered waving her flag at Medieval Times, and was thus insistent on getting one for this show, too. She loves to cheer!

Tom enjoyed the Pirate show, too. :)


We lady buccaneers got dolled up for the occasion.

Our crowd gathered under the tent. This was definitely a worthwhile purchase!


Silly kiddos coloring.

One of the afore-mentioned "goldfish breaks". Whitley is sitting in a Cars Lightning McQueen chair. The movie is her new obsession, and after Whitley requested a chair of her own during our first day at the beach, CC went out and found her a perfect one!

This is a photo of our good friends, Ted and Katie on a few of the Whispering Sands' chairs at Siesta Key beach. After the Myrtle Beach trip, Tom and I flew with them down to the Watson's place for our own little vacation. CC stayed behind with Whitley, to my daughter's delight and my gratitude.

Thanks for hosting a great beach week, Mommy and Daddy! We had the best time!

No comments: